Monday, February 16, 2009

My Fair Godmother


Alrighty, so here I am again, after yet another 2-month hiatus. Sorry about that! So, to make up for it, here's a brand new review...
My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison wasn't quite what I had expected it to be. It was WAY better. It's about 16 year old Savannah Delano who, after her boyfriend dumps her for her smarter sister Jane, discovers she has a fairy godmother. But Chrysanthemum Everstar, or Chrissy, as she prefers to be called, isn't a wand-waving benevolent old woman straight out of Cinderella. She's actually more like the average teenage girl, caring more about shopping than making sure the wishes she casts end up well. Chrissy "accidentally" sends Savannah back into the Middle Ages as both Cinderella and Snow White after Savannah wishes for a life that was more like a fairy tale.
This story's funny and sweet, even though it may not be heavy literature. Rallison drew me in when she made Savannah's sister Jane seem like the one more in need of a godmother than her popular and gorgeous sister, then had Savannah's world crumble around her. And I loved Tristan, Savannah's friend who Chrissy sends back in time to become a prince.
My only complaint was that the "fair" godmother of the title wasn't actually in the story that much. She only appeared every few chapters to disregard all of Savannah's pleas to get back to modern times, then go back to shopping.
But all in all, My Fair Godmother was a quick (only took me a few hours) and funny read. Four stars.

No comments: